Scene: Me, walking out of the building toward my car at dinnertime. Two coworkers, a man and a girl, are standing outside talking. I call her a girl because she's my age and I'm not a woman, therefore, neither is she.Girl: Hey Sarah, did you see "Juno"?
Me: Yes.
Girl: That's what we're talking about. Did you like it?
Man: Did you love "Juno"?
Me: Yes, I liked it. It's cute.
Man: Did you see "Superbad"?
Me: No.
Girl: I liked "Juno." Ooh, I want to see "Smart People!" It has the same girl from "Juno" in it. It opened like a few weeks ago.
Me: Yeah, it's been getting mixed reviews.
Girl: Oh, I never listen to reviews. I never read them. I like to go into things without and prejudgments. Now, if a friend who has really similar tastes to me recommends something, then I'll listen.
Me: You know, you could find a critic with similar tastes to you and listen to them.
Man: [smiles]
Girl: That's true. I hear film critics are a dying breed.
Me: That's the word on the street. ... My brother's a critic.
Girl: Ah, in LA ... the film industry capital ...
Man: We don't need film critics.
Girl: Yeah, we really don't.
Man: Why do we need critics?
Me: OK. ... That's what I did in school. [walks away]
I then went to Hastings and rented "Lars and the Real Girl," which was recommended to me by a film critic with similar tastes whom I trust. Go figure.

No comments:
Post a Comment