“And finally, I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while, I think. It’s probably a good thing. Uhm, we’re the ones who talk[ed] about AIDS when it was just being whispered. And we talked about civil rights when it wasn’t really popular. And we, uh, you know, we bring up subjects … we are the ones … this Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I’m proud to be a part of this Academy. I’m proud to be part of this community. I’m proud to be out of touch. And I thank you so much for this.” - George Clooney, accepting his Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Syriana
Best acceptance speech from the night.
Alright, Alright. I admit my defeat to my brother. But don't expect any cash or checks in the mail, Daniel. My continued friendship is your reward.
Words can't express how dissapointed I am that Crash won. I watched it for the first time Saturday night and at the end, when the camera pans up to the Los Angeles skyline and fake snow falls, I said "You're kidding me. It can't be over," out loud in my apartment. Granted, it has a few shocking moments, but no substance to justify them or explain them. It was interesting, but Crash was in no way of the same caliber of Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Good Night, and Good Luck, or Munich. Come to think of it, Speilberg's Munich was jipped at this year's award shows. Oh well. I'm going to pretend it didn't happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment