After reading a never-published story about homosexuality on campus, I couldn't help but be struck by a certain quote. This quote, said by a certain president at a certain private Christian university in a certain West Texas town, was no doubt a typical thing for this man to say considering his title and position. However, I've got a problem with it.
When talking about practicing gay students on campus, this president said that if the university is doing its job, the students should feel uncomfortable on campus, adding that the school should be up-front about it's belief that homosexuality is a sin. "It doesn't matter what society thinks or practices," he said. "God's side is clear."
Again, I understand his need to take a strong stand against homosexuality, but I couldn't help but be bothered by his sentiment. Is making a Christian brother or sister feel uncomfortable about their sin really the best way to approach the issue? Will making gay students feel secluded and condemned open the floor up for dialogue on the subject of homosexuality, or will we really just be turning even more people away from Christ by being self-righteous? Where's the balance?
Homosexuality is only one of the many giant elephants in the room at this certain university. I can't help but wonder when we'll finally be brave enough to truly discuss the issues, not just have a forum where a student who had had same-sex feelings tells how they changed their ways and how you can, too. It's a start, yes, but it's not near enough. Life is just more complicated than that.
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment