Sunday, May 29, 2005

So this is how the other half lives

Make that the other top 1 percent or so. I am living in a three-story townhouse in Fairfax, Virginia. My aunt Pat and Uncle Bob (or whatever they are; Bob is my dad's cousin) picked me up from the airport in Bob's brand new black Hummer w/ leather interior. Then, we stopped by his work (he's a car dealer) to get Pat's car - a black jaguar convertible w/ leather interior. The Hummer is good for intimidating people on the road, but man are jag's the way to drive. This baby has pick-up like you wouldn't believe, and I think Bob said he got it up to 170 mph once. I am driving a '97 Taurus - not as exciting, but hey, I'm small town compared to the people out here. I actually like it a lot; it's fun to drive and I have a 6-disc CD changer, so of course I'm content.

Picture me hopping in the back seat of a Hummer to go eat at the country club/golf course Saturday night. This is just hilarious.

It's a whole different world out here. For starters, everything is green and beautiful. It's going to be hard to go back to West Texas for another year after being here. There's also always something to do. I'll be sure to post pics of the house and places soon. Pat and I drove by the office today so I could get a feel for the area. It's a huge building on the top floor and it looks quite impressive.

Right now I am sitting in the den of the house watching Pretty Woman on a huge-screen TV that has over 400 channels. With this many movies to choose from, I really don't see the point in me leaving the house. But, alas, I will have to make at least an hour to an hour-and-a-half commute to work everyday - and that's only driving 15 miles. Ah, traffic.

I'm going to go back to lounging and living like a queen. I'll be sure to post again so that you commoners will have something to be entertained by.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Don't forget the little people Duchess Carlson.